COVID-19 vaccines: Live updates
Written by MNT News Team on March 31, 2021
Share on PinterestMichael Ciaglo/Getty Images
- COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus.
- Researchers across the globe are working to develop a vaccine.
- Currently, there are 100 candidate vaccines.
- Today, there are 29 candidate vaccines in stage 3 clinical trials.
- So far, 13 vaccines have been authorized across several countries.
- For general COVID-19 updates visit our live blog.
03/31/2021 08:28 GMT — How Black faith leaders help their communities get vaccinated
Although COVID-19 is disproportionately affecting Black communities in the United States, vaccination rates in these communities remain low. A recent paper proposes that a coalition of Black faith leaders, public health officials, and Black medical professionals may be able to increase the number of people getting vaccinated.
Read more about the study here.
03/30/2021 14:13 GMT — AstraZeneca blood clotting events
A new preprint, which has not undergone peer review, draws links between the AstraZeneca vaccine and blood clotting events. The paper describes nine patients who “presented with thrombosis beginning 4 to 16 days postvaccination.” However, experts confirm that this is not a cause for concern.